Monday, January 16, 2017

Step Up Your Game and 3-way Stub Switch

As I tread the halls of S scale, I feel so glad to have choosen a small prototype!

Yesterday, I came to the realisation not only I would have to build everything from scratch - which isn't a big deal in itself - but also to learn a new sets of skills I actually don't have. This is truly the big challenge behind this project and the reason why it is a leap of faith for myself.

To those who expect a swift development, be aware this project is going to be plagued by trials and errors. Among a few, I'll have to build freight cars almost from scratch (which is going to be exciting in fact), to improve my soldering skills, to hand lay track and build stub switches. In term of scenery, I'll also have to improve my current level.

The good news are all these skills are extremely useful and I know they will be a positive asset when continuing my other works in HO scale. I've long graduated from thinking you have only one "chance" at building your "dream layout". Temiscouata is a craftman dream and in that regard, I think it's worth stepping up my game for once and it's exactly why I selected S scale. I suspect I'll read again Bernard Kempinski's USMRR Aquia Line blog with brand new eyes.

Connors in 1894 (credit: University of Moncton, Edmunston Campus)

Fortunately, Connors is very small and graced by a very simple track plan. In that regard, things are not set in stone as I'm trying to piece together several sources to get a larger portrait of the place.




Among the discoveries is the presence of a 3-way stub switch located at the yard throat... Yes, you read well, a 3-way stub switch. At first I thought I was imagining stuff, but upon closer inspection, it seems to be true. At the left end of the yard, you can see both team track rails converging toward the mainline exactly where the passing track turnout is located. At this place, only one harp-style switch stand can be found. Also, the rail density near the frog is too high for a 2-way turnout. Feel free to comment or bring new information, I think this is going to be a really interesting prototype!


No comments:

Post a Comment